What is Your 2020 Game of The Year?

• The Last of Us Part 2
  • Hades
  • Ghost of Tsushima
  • Doom Eternal
  • Animal Crossings: New Horizons
  • Final Fantasy VII Remake
  • Or something else...

Complete package wise I'd have to say FF7 by default. I have fond memories playing it growing up and I really enjoyed the reimagining and how in a way it also serves as a sort of sequel which was an interesting nuance I wasn't expecting. But I must admit, I have an admitted bias against TLOUS 2 because of the decision they made regarding the story. I recognize the game as a great cinematic experience and I will concede Naughty Dog told the story that they wanted to tell and they told it very well, the problem is that I think it's a story most fans didn't want to play! I feel myself going into analyst mode just talking about it. I think it's a great game that everyone should experience at least once but I ultimately think few people will love it.

20 years from now I can't imagine myself loading up TLOUS2 to enjoy the journey. But 20 years from now I can definitely see myself loading up the original FF7 and likely the remake. Those games have longevity. Those games create fans that want to go to cons and dress up as their favorite characters, buy some of their jewelry and cause fans to want to see spinoffs. And for me that's the difference. 

On a brighter note, I need to play Ghost of Tsushima as I've heard that's really fun as well.

What's your 2020 game of the year? What makes it so special for you?

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.