The Rising of the Shield Hero Season 2 Episode 12 Review & Discussion

Well season 2 is at an end! I had no idea I was watching the season finale until about halfway through episode 12. This season felt really rushed. And I'm not just saying that because of the low episode count. Like some of the scenes were quick and even the transitions from scene to scene, at times felt a little to brisk.

In some cases I'm incredibly grateful for the increased pace but naturally in other places, I wish they would have spent a bit more time. I was thinking about Demon Slayer Season 2 comparing it to Rising of the Shield Hero season 2. Somehow even though they have a similar amount of episodes. I never felt like it was rushed. It almost always felt like appropriate pacing. At first I couldn't quite put my finger on it but now I feel like its because Shield Hero just had way more ground to cover. 

Also it had a very weak opening, there was not much set up at all for the first battle against the spirit tortoise. 

All that being said I really enjoyed episode 12. I was disappointed with how we went back to the wrath shield and how it is still an impediment for Naofumi. I was thinking that the dragon amulet in his new armor would allow him to finally wield the wrath shield and harness its full power. Instead he wins by unknown means. They kinda hinted at the mirror vassal weapon playing a part in his victory but they never fully explained the transformation that his shield went under.

Also it's nice to see Naofumi rise to the level of Viscount when he got back home. I was 100% thinking that Ost was going to become a new member of the party. I'm a little disappointed that it didn't happen. But also kind relieved that there are some consequences for the main characters. 

I can't wait to learn more about the waves. For example where do the monsters come from? I imagine the end of all this has to be Naofumi and other Cardinal heroes finding a way to travel to the land of the waves to put a stop to these portals appearing in their own worlds. It would be the ultimate team up. At this point I can't imagine any of the Cardinal heroes choosing to fight each other again. There is just no animosity left so the fights wouldn't be that compelling.

Hopefully we'll get season 3 this fall or this winter.

1846273694_Therisingoftheshieldheroseason2image2.thumb.jpg.41ea083df63b5bcd11565469a523501a.jpg