Will PlayStation Start Developing Its Own First Person Shooter Now That Xbox Has Call of Duty?

Jim

I know the ink isn't necessarily dry yet on Microsoft's acquisition of Activision Blizzard and that Microsoft still plans to release Call of Duty on PlayStation but assuming the deal still goes through, would it be in Sony's best interest to start developing a FPS of its own to compete?

Some people have suggested that Sony revive the Killzone franchise.

For me personally I would love to see Sony develop its own original FPS IP.  I think giving fans something brand new creates a level of hype that people feed off of. Plus I think its good for the industry.

I'd love for them to try to create something akin to a MMOFPS. Something akin to Planetside but for next gen consoles. I think there is place for that. People could jump in real quick help out their faction on a few missions and jump out.

Adding tons of players with next gen graphics and it would be beautiful mayhem for all involved. I could see casual fans and hardcore fans logging in every week to play. 

I think the key is to make it something a little more futuristic and not too silly.

• Jim changed the title to Will PlayStation Start Developing Its Own First Person Shooter Now That Xbox Has Call of Duty?