Is Call of Duty Vanguard, Halo Infinite or Battlefield 2042 The Best First Person Shooter?

Jim

First let me be the first to admit that I've not played all three yet. Me and a friend of mine got into an interesting discussion about which first person shooter was the best. My position was that Halo Infinite was extremely solid. I enjoyed the campaign but I felt like Halo needed to evolve its gameplay mechanics for both the single player and multiplayer.

On next gen consoles Halo should feel like we are fighting a huge war against the other side. It should feel this way in  both single player and multiplayer. In single player we should be fighting against the Banished. The battle should be raging at all times while we go on critical missions to turn the tide of the war. In multiplayer, we should be fighting huge battles similar to battlefield. But along the way we should be building bases, disabling generators, defending communications towers, repairing damaged systems etc. That would be true next gen. That was my argument.

However, all that being said, I argued that currently Halo is still the better overall game, as it has the most polish, tight gameplay, a small amount of bugs and a significant amount of time can be invested in the single player campaign. My friend on the other hand argued that Battlefield 2042 was better because Halo multiplayer was still stuck in the early 2000s and the gameplay improvements in single player are miniscule. 

Full disclosure I haven't played Call of duty vanguard or Battlefield 2042 yet, even though I have seen some gameplay via streaming. 

I've streamed a little chunk of Call of Duty Vanguard and I thought the single player campaign looked fun. World War 2 is not my preferred setting for a first person shooter but it seems like they made it work. And I was actually curious as to what was going to happen next, so kudos to the team for that. I've got no experience at all with multiplayer this year.

As for Battlefield 2042, the setting and gameplay interests me far more than Call of Duty Vanguard. My only issues with it, is that they dropped single player completely to focus on multiplayer but at release  I've people were complaining of bugs all over the place. I'm sure by now the big ones are fixed but I was shocked by the negative reaction it received upon initial release. The weather events look kinda cool, I'm just not sure how much I'll enjoy that while I'm playing the game.

I'm sure that eventually I'll play Call of duty vanguard and Battlefield 2042. But for now, I'm going to have to say Halo is the better overall game.