Final Fantasy XVI - Awakening Trailer Discussion

Jim

I know this trailer released over a year ago, yet somehow I forgot to post my thoughts in the community. The first thing that jumps out to me is that this presentation is running on PC hardware which was meant to emulate the PS5 experience. While this is certainly not irregular it is a bit disappointing as its kind of hard to get a feel for the look and feel of the actual gameplay.

From what I've seen so far this game feels like it doesn't have the same production value as Final Fantasy 7 Remake. I'll be honest assessment is a little bit unfair but I personally prefer the visual look of the unreal engine over this. But this is just a personal preference. As a Final Fantasy fan we play these games for the story not the graphics.

It's interesting that they decided to go with a seemingly more mature medieval style story here(blood splatter on the little kid). I wonder just how mature it will be or if blood will be the extent of it. The story seems simple enough so far but it will undoubtedly grow convoluted as that goes on. So we can only ever really judge a story once we've played it all the way through. One concern I have so far, is the characters. They just don't seem iconic enough. Nobody seems to really standout. One of my big issues with Final Fantasy 15 was that it was a game about just hanging out with the bros. And they all dressed in basically the same colors and had a similar sleek styling to them. I much prefer the styling in Final fantasy 7,8,9 and 10 to these new age character design decisions.

Then last but not least, the gameplay seems to hint that there is not going to be a party system like in years past. Instead the game feels more dark souls inspired one man against a horde of crazy monsters(And the monsters do look great!). If this is true, that means this game will be a huge departure from traditional Final Fantasy games. I think there is something special that happens when gamers spend 40-60 hours with a group of characters, it would be a shame for Final Fantasy to lose that aspect.

That being said, this is still the 16th entry to the series and I can't wait to see more. Its been awhile since we've had another update on the game!