Is It A Smart Move For the Halo TV Series To Be Based on A Completely Separate Canon Than The Games?

Jim

I find this to be a very interesting decision. Is it smart for the TV series to be based on a completely separate canon than the games? I think so!

I've just finished my first playthrough of Halo Infinite's single player campaign. And while I can tell you that I enjoyed Halo Infinite's story much more than Halo 5. I think Halo 5 has the better narrative. I just didn't like what they decided to do. Halo's mainline story(involving Master Chief) has been pretty much the same since Halo Combat Evolved. Most aliens are bad and are trying to destroy mankind, Master Chief goes in and attempts to save the day, or those closest to him.

Halo has some great sci-fi elements to it that I feel would work perfectly in a movie and/or Tv setting. For example I'm getting some strong independence day vibes when I try to imagine watching it in a theater. But the games have gone so long without establishing in real major characters that I kind of feel that its wasted some of its potential. 

By allowing the TV series to use the Halo franchise as source material rather than pure canon, the showrunners can really take their time to craft a fully realized Halo universe which would hopefully include complex plotlines, multi layered characters, along with all the sci-fi goodies we love: the covenant, the banished, AI, the monitors and strange alien races bent on taking over the galaxies.

Source

• Jim changed the title to Is It A Smart Move For the Halo TV Series To Be Based on A Completely Separate Canon Than The Games?